Friday, September 12, 2014

FISH AND LEEK PIE



I love pies.Have I mentioned it before?
Pies are not a Polish thing,maybe it has changed now, but they never used to be. I ate my first one after moving to England. It was a fish and leek pie served by my English friend when she invited me for a dinner to her house. When I got it on my plate, I didn't have a clue what it was or what to expect but I appreciated that someone had cooked for me.I tried the first mouthful....the second......and third.....I'd never known that taste before.That creaminess, herbs, warmth. I got hooked!


After that night I started discovering English food, not the one sold in takeaways, the REAL English food, food with traditions.It turns out that England has more to boast about than fish and chips and mushy peas(eyyykkk). England is one, big PIE KINGDOM.


 
 
I really like this particular pie.It bring back some nice momories and it's soooo creamy, it really makes those cold evenings more bearable beautiful :)



RECIPE:

YOU NEED:

1kg potatoes, peeled
90g butter
2 leeks (around 250g), chopped
600 ml milk(of your choice)
30g flour
500g fish, diced (I used fresh scottish loch trout and fresh cod)

two pinches of freshly chopped rosemary
salt, pepper, freshly grounded

1. Boil or steam the potatoes.

2.Preheat the oven to 190C/170 fan/Gas 5

3.Melt 40g of butter at low heat, add chopped leeks and cook until soft.

4.In a seperate pan, heat 450ml milk, remaining 150ml mix well with flour. When the milk in a pan starts to simmer pour over the one mixed with flour. Keep stirring as it will thicken.Bring it to boil.

5.Add fish(raw), cooked leeks and rosemary to the creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Mash the potatoes with remaining 50g butter, season with a little salt.

7.Now the magic starts :) Pour the creamy sauce into a oven dish, cover with mash potatoes and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.

Enjoy,
 xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment